Friday, January 28, 2011

Blogs in My Future Classroom

Nowadays, Internet plays a quite important role in people's daily life. I have seen a survey that 87% of 12-17 years old American students are Internet users, which is a big number. So to be a future teacher, I need to consider how to make use of this huge resource. And blog is one of most useful Internet tools in my future classroom, which have already become a part of everyday's life.


First, I would like to post syllabus, readings or other related information of my class in my future class blog. That is very convenient for students to search the information they need. For example, students can check syllabus at any time to figure out what they should do.  I have benefitted from this kind of blog so much, so I hope I can do this in the future as well. This correlates with the communication standard 1.2: students understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics.

Second, I want to make use of the blog as a filing cabinet. In this part, students are required to post their homework or reflections, and response others' writings in the blogs. It is quite necessary for students to share their information and ideas with their peers, teachers, parents and more. What' more, that is also easy for me to check whether students hand in their homework on time or not. From this interaction, I believe students can acquire more. This correlates with the communications standard 1.3: students present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.

Third, I have a plan that everyone in my class blog can share some information they are interested in or related knowledge they have learnt. For example, if my lesson is about different culture, I hope students link some videos about culture or post some related readings and pictures in the blogs. That correlates with the connections standard 3.1: students reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines through the foreign language.

In a word, I believe a good blog can make my future class more interested and organized.

5 comments:

Maryanne said...

These are great ideas. I like your suggestion about having students post videos or pictures on a blog. These could be the starting point for a lot of other class activities.

Tharanga said...

When I read my friends' posts I learn a lot, so I think when you initiate your class blog that will help students to learn from each other. I believe your parallel teachers will envy your new approach to teaching as your innovations will apparently produce a bunch of exceptionally enthusiastic kids.

Nicole said...

I really like your idea of handing in homework through blogging. How convenient for both teacher and student to have a secure place where papers can not be lost, and an organized spot to keep everyone's ideas. I will definitely have to incorporate this in my future classroom. Also, sharing video clips in the classroom may be quite difficult for some schools if they do not have the right technology. Putting these clips on the blog allows everyone to view, and re-view clips for future references.

Elizabeth G. said...

One of your points really resonated with me. Sometimes it can be difficult to find avenues for students to "publish" their work. Despite pubishing being a crucial step of the writing process, I feel that typical assignments often fall short of this final stage. By encouraging students to "publish" on their blog, it takes the writing process through to the last step (unless you count any revisions that are made after comments come in from readers!).

TooYoungToSitStill said...

I really like your third idea of having students post videos and pictures about topics you are covering. Although using technology in the classroom is over all more exciting, allowing students to find MEDIA is even more exciting, for them and you as the teacher viewing what is posted.

In my future classroom, I also look forward to using a blog like a filing cabinet. I agree that it is a useful organizational tool for a busy classroom, teacher and student.