Saturday, February 26, 2011

The New Social Learning -- Don't miss it



I found a post about a book review -- The New Social Learning. In this review, the author first mentioned the advantage and importance of social learning. And then, he pointed out one of challenge to social learning the book mentioned, which is e-learning with self-study. In his view, self-study is great for small chunks of learning or as preparation for or follow-up to a more social learning activity. In a word, The New Social Learning presents a highly credible review of the arguments for a new social learning, enhanced by technology with plenty of real-life cases. 


Although I have not read this book, I love it. On one hand, some points in this book strike a chord with me, such as the relationship between e-learning and self-study. That is really a challenge to social learning. What's more, these days, I read lots of articles or posts about social learning, which more or less about how excellent social learning is. However, this book provides readers with some arguments for a new social learning and a great source of practical ideas. As far as I'm concerned, I need some fresh views about social learning to build the "realm" of my future teaching. The New Social learning may bring me these new perspectives. 

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

This sounds like a very useful book. I noticed in the original post that the blog author remarked on the difference between social learning and learning through social networks, an interesting distinction.